Having noise problems with a neighbour?


1) Try talking to your neighbour directly

It may be hard to believe, but sometimes people really don’t realise what kind of noise they’re making, or that it might be bothering you.

Explain what you’re experiencing, how it’s affecting you, why it’s affecting you that way and what you would like your neighbour to do differently.

Stay focused on what you would like to happen and try to keep it constructive. For example: ‘It would really help me if you could take your shoes off when you come in after 10 pm.’  Not: ‘I don’t know why you insist on clomping around in those shoes all night, every night, you’re so loud, I hate you!!!!!’


2) Try talking to your neighbour with someone else there

Perhaps you have another neighbour who can offer to join you and mediate. If you’d prefer someone who doesn’t live on the estate, contact Common Ground: East London Mediation (020 7702 8305) to see if they might be able to help.


3) Ask Estmanco to help enforce the terms of the lease

Leaseholders must ensure adequate soundproofing. All wooden floors, except in kitchens, should have good quality underlay and carpets fitted.  Alternatively, the cavity between the wooden floors and the flats below should be soundproofed.  This does not apply to ground floor flats.  Noise can be caused to neighbours if leasesholders do not meet this requirement of their lease.

Please note that Estmanco will only do this after you have tried one of the above options.

Estmanco may instruct its solicitors to take legal action to enforce the correction of inappropriate work regarding flooring. Estmanco’s costs will be billed and recovered from the offending leaseholder.


4) Contact the Council’s Environmental Health officer

They will investigate and decide whether the noise qualifies as a nuisance.  If so, they will serve warning notices, penalty notices and, in extreme cases, issue court proceedings. Read more on the Tower Hamlets website here, or contact them on 020 7364 5000 or 020 7364 5007.


5) If none of the above work …

You can complain directly to the Magistrates Court under section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.  Or you can try taking civil action. You will probably need legal advice though and it can be expensive.